Secure a Location
Policies and procedures vary from campus to campus. At Tennessee Tech, we have a space committee that meets multiple times a semester to discuss space allocation. Check with your own campus information center to find out who you need to speak to concerning space requests.
When requesting a location to house the pantry, it is important to consider how you will use the space...
- Is the location in a discreet part of campus? Most clients will feel more comfortable if the pantry is located in an easily accessible, yet less busy building on campus.
- Is there ample parking around the building?
- What is the ideal size of the room you need?
- Is the space lockable?
- Does it have plenty of electrical outlets?
- Is the space handicap accessible? It is best if the room is located on the first floor of a building. If this is not possible, there should be elevators nearby.
- Is there ample space for shelving units?
- If refrigeration units are not already in the space, will it accommodate such appliances?
- If you are planning to partner with a large food bank, such as Second Harvest Food Bank, to receive bulk quantities of food, will the space meet unloading and food storage requirements specified by the community partner?